By Lorri Schreiber:
Farmers have always been the backbone of our country, often working from early in the morning until late in the evening - no doubt some of the hardest working people in America. Much of this work is done in all sorts of weather conditions, which can also put their agricultural commodities at risk. More than ever, it's important to support these men and women and, oftentimes, children of farmers who work hard to bring fresh food to our table. And, getting locally grown foods is both better for your health and better for the environment.
Here are some great ways to support our farmers:
- Shop at your local farmers market.
- Attend events and activities at the farms.
- Eat seasonal foods.
- Eat at farm-to-table restaurants.
- Shop at local grocery stores.
- Purchase a community supported agriculture (CSA) share.
- Support farm-to-school Initiatives.
- Donate to causes that support our farmers.
- Volunteer for causes that support our farmers.